1. Must we pray that we may not be tempted? Yes: Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation, Matt. 26:41. And that temptations may be removed? Yes: I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me, 2 Cor. 12:8. And that we may not be overcome by them? Yes: Let no iniquity have dominion over me, Ps. 119:133.
2. Must we pray that God would not leave us to ourselves? Yes: Incline not my heart to any evil thing, Ps. 141:4. And that he would not withdraw the assistance of his grace? Yes: Take not thy Holy Spirit away from me, Ps. 51:11. But that he would strengthen us against every temptation? Yes: Uphold me with by free spirit, Ps. 51:12. And that he would preserve us through it? Ye: That our faith fail not, Luke 22:32. Have we encouragement to pray against temptation? Yes: For God is faithful, who will not suffer us to be tempted above what we are able, 1 Cor. 10:13. And is prayer a part of our spiritual armour ? Yes: Praying always, Eph. 6:13,18.
3. Must we dread sin as the worst evil? Yes: That I should be afraid, and do so, and sin, Neh. 6:13. And must we pray to be kept from it? Yes: to be delivered from every evil work, 2 Tim. 4:18. And from all occasions of it? Yes: Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity, Ps. 119:37.
4. Must we pray against pride? Yes: That he may hide pride from man, Job 33:17. And against lying? Yes: Remove from me the way of lying, Ps. 119:29. And against sensuality? Yes: Let me not eat of their dainties, Ps. 140:4. And against uncleanness? Yes: Create in me a clean heart, O God, Ps. 51:10. And against covetousness ? Yes: Incline my heart to thy testimonies, and not to covetousness, Ps. 119:36. And against all tongue-sins? Yes: Set a watch, O Lord, before the door of my mouth, keep the door of my lips, Ps. 141:3. Must we pray especially against wilful sin? Yes: Keep back thy servant from presumptuous sins, Ps. 19:15. Must we pray that others also may be kept from sin? Yes: I pray to God that ye do no evil, 2 Cor. 13:7.
5. Must we pray to be delivered from other evil? Yes: Keep me from evil that it may not grieve me, 1 Chron. 4:10. Must our eye be to God for our preservation? Yes: Hide me under the shadow of thy wings, Ps. 17:8. May we take encouragement in this prayer from God's power? Yes: for he is able to keep that which we have committed to him, 2 Tim. 1:12. And from his promise? Yes: There shall no evil befall thee, Ps. 91:10. And from our own experience? Yes: He that has delivered does deliver, in whom we trust that he will yet deliver, 2 Cor. 1:10.