1. Are our sins our debts to God? Yes: There was a certain creditor that had two debtors, etc. Luke 7:41. Are they great debts? Yes: ten thousand talents, Matt. 18:24. Can we discharge these debts ourselves ? No: we have nothing to pay, Luke 7:42. Are we liable to the prison of hell then? Yes: not to depart thence till we have paid the last mite, Luke 12:58,59. Is it possible to obtain the forgiveness of this debt? Yes: There is forgiveness with thee, Ps. 130:4.
2. Are we to pray for the forgiveness of these debts? Yes: Enter not into judgment with thy servant, O Lord, Ps. 143:2. And to pray earnestly for it? Yes: For thy name's sake, O Lord, pardon mine iniquity, Ps. 25:11. Must we plead God's mercies? Yes: According to the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions, Ps. 51:1. And Christ's merits? Yes: Through the redemption that is in Jesus, Rom. 3:24. Must we pray for it every day? Yes: when we pray, Give us our daily bread, we must pray, Forgive us our debts.
3. Must we pray that God would ease us of the burden of sin? Yes: Take away all iniquity, Hos. 14:2. And that he would cleanse us from the filth of sin? Yes: Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, Ps. 51:2. And cure us of the wounds of sin? Yes: Heal my soul, for I have sinned against thee, Ps. 12:4. And save us from the punishment of sin? Yes: I will say unto God, do not condemn me, Job 10:2.
4. Must we pray to God to give us that grace which will qualify us for pardon? Yes: for Christ is exalted to give repentance and remission, Acts 5:31. And that he would give us the comfort of our pardon? Yes: Make me to hear joy and gladness, Ps. 51:8. And must we, in order hereunto, be particular in confessing sin? Yes: Declare, that thou mayest be justified, Isa. 43:26.
5. Must we forgive those who have provoked us? Yes: forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any, Col. 3:13. Must we bear them no malice? No: Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye he condemned, Jam. 5:9. Must we be ready to be reconciled to them? Yes: When ye stand praying, forgive if ye have ought against any, Mark 11:25. Should we be merciful to those that we have advantage against? Yes: Thou shouldest have had compassion on thy fellow-servant as I had pity on thee, Matt. 18:33. Is this required to qualify, us for the pardon of sin? Yes: If Ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, Matt. 6:14. Will God forgive those that do not forgive? No: If ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive yours, verse 15.