1. Ought we to desire the glory of God in the first place? Yes: that God in all things may be glorified, 1 Pet. 4:11. Is God glorified when his name is glorified? Yes: They shall worship before thee, O Lord, and shall glorify thy name, Ps. 86: 9. Is God's name glorified when it is sanctified or hallowed? Yes: for he is glorious in holiness, Exod. 15:11. Ought we therefore to sanctify it? Yes: Sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, 1 Pet. 3:15.
2. Are we to pray that we ourselves may be enabled to glorify God? Yes: Open thou my lips and my mouth shall show forth thy praise, Ps. 51:15. And that we may live for that end? Yes: Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee, Ps. 119:175. And be delivered for that end? Yes: Bring my soul out of prison that I may praise thy name, Ps. 142:7. And are we to pray that others also may he enabled to glorify him? Yes: that they may glorify our Father which is in heaven, Matt. 5:16.
3. Do we here pray for the propagating of the knowledge of God? Yes: That thy way may be known upon earth, thy saving health among all nations, Ps. 67:2. And for the conversion of souls to him? Yes: Let the people praise thee, 0 God, let all the people praise thee Ps. 67:3. And for the success of the gospel? Yes: that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, 2 Thess. 3:1. Do we pray for the fruitfulness of Christians? Yes: that they may be filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God, Phil. 1:11. And for the flourishing of the churches of Christ? Yes: that they may be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified, Isa. 61:3.
4. Do we pray that God would glorify himself? Yes: Father, glorify thy name, John 12:28. And are we sure he will do it? Yes: for there came a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and I will glorify it yet again, John 12:28. Do we pray that he would exalt his own name? Yes: Be thou exalted, O Lord, in thine own strength, Ps. 21:13. And are we sure he will do it? Yes: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth, Ps. 46:10. May we plead this with him? Yes: What wilt thou do to thy great name? Josh 7:9.
5. Do we pray that God would bring glory to himself out of all events? Yes: To thy name give glory, Ps. 115:1. Even out of those events that seem contrary? Yes: that the wrath of man may praise him, Ps. 76:10. Must we desire it concerning ourselves? Yes: that we may be unto him for a name, and for a praise, and for a glory, Jer. 13:11. And concerning all our affairs? Yes: That Christ may be magnified in my body both by life and death, Phil. 1:20.