1. Is it every one's duty to pray? Yes: Men ought always to pray, Luke 18:1. Call a man be a good man who lives without prayer? No: Every one that is godly shall pray, Ps. 32:6. Are we to pray daily? Yes: Morning, and evening, and at noon, will I pray, Ps. 55:17. Are we to pray continually? Yes: Pray without ceasing, 1 Thess. 5:17. Are we to pray in secret? Yes Thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and shut thy door, Matt. 6:6. Are we to pray when we are in affliction? Yes: Is any among you afflicted, let him pray, James 5:13.
2. Are we to pray to God only? Yes: for he only knows the hearts of all the children of men, 1 Kings 8:39. May we pray to departed saints to pray for us? No: for Abraham is ignorant of us, Isa. 63:16. Is prayer the soul's ascent to God? Yes: Unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul, Ps. 25:1. Is it the soul's converse with God? Yes: Pour out your hearts before him, Ps. 62:8. Are we in prayer to ascribe glory to God? Yes: Give unto the Lord glory and strength, Ps. 96:7. And to ask mercy of God? Yes: Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find, Matt. 7:7.
3. Are we to pray to God for things agreeable to his will? Yes: If we ask anything according to his will, he heareth us, 1 John 5:14. Must we pray for pardoning mercy, and sanctifying grace? Yes: Let us come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need, Heb. 4:16. Are God's promises to be the guide of our desires in prayer? Yes: Remember thy word unto thy servant, Ps. 114:49. And the ground of our faith? Yes: For I hope in thy word, ver. 81.
4. Must we pray in the name of Christ? Yes: Whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, John 19:13. Relying on his righteousness alone? Yes: For we have boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, Heb. 10:19. Must we pray in faith? Yes: Let him ask in faith, nothing wavering, Jam. 1:6. Depending on the assistance of the Holy Spirit? Yes: for the Spirit helpeth our infirmities, Rom. 8:26.
5. Must we in prayer make confession of sin? Yes: I prayed to the Lord my God, and made my confession, Dan. 9:4. And must we give thanks for mercies received? Yes: Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, Ps. 100:4.
6. Must we be constant in prayer? Yes: I gave myself unto prayer, Ps. 109:4. And humble in prayer? Yes: for we are but dust and ashes, Gen. 18:27. And earnest in prayer? Yes: Always labouring fervently in prayer, Col 4:12. Must we in sincerity set God before us in prayer? Yes: Let us draw near with a true heart, Heb. 10:22. Must we pray in charity? Yes: Lifting up pure hands without wrath, 1 Tim. 2:8.
7. Will God hear and accept those who thus pray to him? Yes: He never said to the seed of Jacob, seek ye me in vain, Isa. 45:19. But will the love of sin spoil the success of prayer Yes: If I regard iniquity in my heart, God will not hear me, Ps. 66:18.