1. Are the ignorant to be admitted to the Lord's Supper? No: for they discern not the Lord's body, 1 Cor. 11:29. Are those to be admitted to it who are openly profane? No: for what concord hath Christ with Belial? 2 Cor. 6:15. But must all visible adult believers be admitted to it? Yes: All the congregation of Israel shall keep the passover, Exod. 12:47.
2. Must those who come to the Lord's Supper prepare for it? Yes: We must prepare our heart to seek God, the Lord God of our fathers, 2 Chron. 13:18. Must we put away every sin? Yes: Purge out the old leaven, 1 Cor. 5:7. And must we cleanse ourselves from all pollutions? Yes: I will wash my hands in innocency, so I will compass thine altar, O Lord, Ps. 26:6. Must we sequester ourselves from the world? Yes: Tarry ye here, while I go yonder and worship, Gen. 22:5. And must we apply ourselves seriously to this service? Yes: We must engage the heart to approach unto God, Jer. 30:21.
3. When we come to this ordinance must we examine ourselves? Yes: Let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup, 1 Cor. 11:28. Must we examine our spiritual state? Yes: Examine yourselves whether ye be in the faith, 2 Cor. 13:5. Must we examine our particular ways? Yes: Let us search and try our ways, Lam. 3:40. Must we renew our repentance for sin: Yes: for if we would judge ourselves, we shouldl not be judged, 1 Cor. 11:31. And our faith in Christ crucified? Yes: Who loved me and gave himself for me, Gal. 2:20. Must we steadfastly purpose to lead a new life? Yes: I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments, Ps. 119:106. And must we be in charity with all men? Yes: First be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift, Matt. 5:24. And must we stir up desires towards Christ? Yes: Let him that is athirst come, Rev. 22:17.
4. Must we receive this sacrament with great reverence? Yes: In thy fear will I worship towards thy holy temple, Ps. 5:7. And with fixedness of thought? Yes: Bind the sacrifice with cords unto the horns of the altar, Ps. 118:27. Must we receive it with godly sorrow for sin? Yes: they shall look on me whom they have pierced, and mourn, Zech. 12:10. And with holy joy in the Lord? Yes: they did eat their meat with gladness, praising God, Acts 2:46,47. Must we receive it with an affectionate remembrance of the love of Christ? Yes: We will remember thy love more than wine, Cant. 1:4. And with all earnest desire of mercy from God? Yes: I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord, Ps. 116:13.
5. Must those who have received this sacrament be very watchful against all sin? Yes: He will speak peace to his people, and to his saints, but let them not turn again to folly, Ps. 85:8. Must they abound in all duty? Yes: I will pay my vows unto the Lord, Ps. 116:14. And must they ever preserve a sense of their engagements? Yes: Thy vows are upon me, O God, Ps. 56:12.
6. Do those who wilfully resolve to continue in sin receive unworthily? Yes: For what hast thou to do to take my covenant in thy mouth, seeing thou hatest instruction, Ps. 50:16,17, And do those receive unworthily who have no regard to Christ in what they do? Yes: for they say the table of the Lord is contemptible, Mal. 1:7. Are they that do so guilty of a great sin? Yes: they are guilty of the body and blood of the Lord, 1 Cor. 11:27. And are they in great danger? Yes: for they eat aud drink judgment to themselves, 1 Cor. 11:29. But shall weak believers, who bewail their unworthiness, be encouraged? Yes: for he will not break the bruised reed, Matt. 12:20.