1. Is true repentance, repentance unto life? Yes: God hath to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life, Acts 11:18. Is it a grace? Yes: If God peradventure will give them repentance, 2 Tim. 2:25. Is it a saving grace? Yes: godly sorrow worketh repentance unto salvation, 2 Cor. 7:10.
2. Is repentance required of every one of us? Yes: God commandeth all men everywhere to repent, Acts 17:30. Is it necessary to our pardon? Yes: for repentance and remission of sins are preached to all nations, Luke 24:47. Is it given to qualify us for pardon? Yes: God hath exalted his Son Christ Jesus, to give repentance and remission of sins, Acts 5:3. Can we be saved without it? No: Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish, Luke 13:3.
3. Is it necessary to repentance, that there be a sense of sin? Yes : Cause Jerusalem to know her abominations, Ezek. 16:2. Must there be an acknowledgment of sin? Yes: I acknowledge my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me, Ps. 51:3. Must we acknowledge the fact of sin? Yes: Thus and thus have I done, Josh. 7:20. And the fault? Yes: I have done this evil in thy sight, Ps. 51:4. And the folly of it? Yes: O God, thou knowest my foolishness, Ps. 69:5. Must we acknowledge the original of sin? Yes: Behold, I was shapen in iniquity, Ps. 51:5. Must we acknowledge ourselves odious to God's holiness because of sin? Yes: Behold, I am vile, Job 11:4. And obnoxious to his justice? Yes: If thou, Lord, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand, Ps. 130:3.
4. Must there be an apprehension of the mercy of God in Christ? Yes: there is forgiveness with thee that thou mayest be feared, Ps. 130:4. Must that invite us to repent? Yes: The goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance, Rom. 2:4. Is that evangelical repentance which flows from a hope of that mercy? Yes: Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand, Matt. 3:2. Can there be true repentance where there is a despair of mercy? No: Thou saidst there is hope; no, I have loved strangers, and after them will I go, Jer. 2:25. Have we reason to hope for that mercy? Yes: Turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy, Isa. 55:7.
5. Must there be contrition for sin? Yes: When they heard this, they were pricked to the heart, Acts. 2:37. Must we turn from sin? Yes: Everyone mourning for his iniquities, Ezek. 7:16. Must we mourn greatly for sin? Yes: Peter went out and wept bitterly, Matt. 26:75. Must we mourn after a godly sort? Yes: Ye sorrowed according to God, 2 Cor. 7:9,margin. Must we mourn for sin with an eye to Christ? Yes: They shall look on him whom they have pierced, and mourn, Zech. 1:10. 6. Must we hate sin? Yes: I hate every false way, Ps. 119:128. Must we loathe ourselves because of sin? Yes: I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes, Job 42:6. Must we be ashamed of ourselves before God? Yes: I am ashamed, and blush to lift up my face to thee, my God, Ezra 9:6. And must we humble ourselves greatly in his presence? Yes: as the publican that stood afar off; and would not lift up so much as his eyes to heaven, Luke 18:13.
7. Must we confess our sins? Yes: for he that covers his sins shall not prosper, Prov. 28:13. And must we aggravate them? Yes: I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, Luke 15:18. And must we judge ourselves because of them? Yes: If we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged, 1 Cor. 11:31. And must we cry earnestly to God for pardon in the blood of Christ be merciful to me a sinner, Luke 18:13.
8. Must we turn from sin? Yes: Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions, Ezek. 18:30. From our own sin? Yes: Return ye now every one from his evil way, Jer. 18:11. And must we turn to God? Yes: If thou wilt return, O Israel, return unto me, Jer. 4:1. Are backsliders invited to return? Yes: Return ye backsliding children, Jer. 3:22. And should they accept the invitation? Yes: Behold, we come unto thee, for thou art the Lord our God, Jer. 3:22.
9. In repentance must there be a change of the mind? Yes: Make ye a new heart, Ezek. 18:31. Must there be a change of the way? Yes: Cease to do evil, learn to do well, Isa. 1:16,17. Must there be a full resolution against all sin? Yes: Ephraim shall say, What have I to do any more with idols, Hos. 14:8. And a full resolution of new obedience? Yes: The Lord our God will we serve, and his voice will we obey, Josh. 24:24. And must we be serious in our endeavours accordingly? Yes: Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance, Matt. 3:8.