1. Are we to believe in Jesus Christ? Yes: Ye believe in God, believe also in me, John 14:1. Is Christ in the word the object of our faith? Yes: For the word is nigh thee, Rom. 10:8. Is faith in Christ a grace? Yes: it is not of ourselves, it is the gift of God, Eph. 2:8. Is it free grace? Yes: To you it is given on the behalf of Christ to believe in him, Phil. 1:29. Is it a saving grace? Yes: for we believe to the saving of the soul, Heb. 10:39. Is it that by which we live? Yes: The just shall five by his faith, Rom. 1:17. Is unbelief the great damning sin? Yes: They could not enter in because of unbelief, Heb. 3:19.
2. Do we by faith assent to gospel truths? Yes: He that has received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true, John 3:33. Do we by faith consent to gospel terms? Yes: Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me, Matt. 11:29. Must both these go together? Yes: He said, Lord, I believe, and he worshipped him, John 9:38. Is there good reason for both? Yes: for it is both a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, 1 Tim. 1:15.
3. Is this receiving Christ? Yes: Ye have received Christ Jesus the Lord, Col. 2:6. Is it applying the righteousness of Christ to ourselves? Yes: Who loved me, and gave himself for me, Gal. 2:20. And consenting to it? Yes: We have now received the atonement, Rom. 5:11. Must we receive Christ to rule us as well as to save us? Yes: For him hath God exalted to be both a Prince and a Saviour, Acts 5:31. And is it enough only to receive him? No: as we have received him, so we must walk in him, Col. 2:6.
4. Do we by faith rest on Christ alone for salvation? Yes: in his name shall the Gentiles trust, Matt. 12:21. And rely on his righteousness? Yes: That I may win Christ, and be found in him, not having my own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, Phil. 3:9. And do we rejoice in him? Yes: for we are the circumcision that rejoice in Christ Jesus, Phil. 3: 3.
5. Will faith in Christ produce good affections? Yes: for it works by love, Gal. 5:6. Will it purify the heart? Yes: Purifying their hearts by faith, Acts 15:9. Will it overcome the world? Yes: This is the victory, overcoming the world, even your faith, 1 John 5:4. Will it resist the temptations of Satan? Yes: Yes: the shield of faith quenches the fiery darts of the wicked, Eph. 6:16. Does it exert itself in obedience? Yes: for the gospel is made known to all nations for the obedience of faith, Rom. 16:26. And does it subject the soul to the grace and government of the Lord Jesus? Yes: My Lord, and my God, John 20:28.