A. Christ's exaltation consists in his rising again from the dead on the third day, in ascending up into heaven, in sitting at the right hand of God the Father, and in coming to judge the world at the last day.
1. Is Jesus Christ exalted? Yes: because he humbled himself, therefore God also hath highly exalted him, Phil. 2:9. Was his humiliation the way to exaltation? Yes: he suffered these things, and so entered into his glory, Luke 24:26. Was his exaltation the reward of his humiliation? Yes: I have glorified thee on the earth, and now O Father, glorify thou me, John 17:5. Had he it in his eye in his sufferings? Yes: for the joy that was set before him, he endured the cross, Heb. 12:2.
2. Was his resurrection the first step of his exaltation? Yes: he was buried, and rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, 1 Cor. 15:4. Did he continue always in the hands of death? No: for it was impossible he should be holden of them, Acts 2:24. Did he rise to life? Yes: he both rose and revived, Rom. 14:9. Did the same body rise? Yes: Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself, Luke 24:39. Is he the same Jesus still? Yes: I am he that liveth, and was dead, Rev. 1:18. Did he lie in the grave all the Jewish sabbath? Yes: for he rose in the end of the sabbath, Matt. 28:1. Did he rise the same day of the week? Yes: as it began to dawn towards the first day of the week, Matt. 28:1. Have we sufficient proof of his resurrection? Yes: he showed himself alive, by many infallible proofs, Acts 1:3. Did he rise to die no more? Yes: Death hath no more dominion over him, Rom. 6:9.
3. Did Christ rise by his own power? Yes: Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up, John 2:19. and 10:18. Was that a divine power? Yes: for he was crucified through weakness, but he lived by the power of God, 2 Cor. 13:4. Was it the great proof of his being the Son of God? Yes: he was declared to be the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead, Rom. 1:4. Was it the will of the Father he should rise? Yes: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came, and rolled back the stone, Matt. 28:2. Did the Father raise him? Yes: God raised him from the dead, Acts 13:30. Was this an evidence of the acceptance of his satisfaction? Yes: for he was raised again for our justification, Rom. 4:25. And we may plead it? Yes: it is Christ that died, yea, rather, that is risen again, Rom. 8:34.
4. Did Christ rise as a public person? Yes: for since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead, 1 Cor. 15:21. Are true believers raised with him to a spiritual life ? Yes: be hath quickened us together with Christ, Eph. 2:5. And shall they be shortly raised to eternal life? Yes: Christ the first-fruits, afterward they that are Christ's at his coming, 1 Cor. 15:23. Is the resurrection of Christ one of the great foundations of Christianity? Yes: if Christ be not risen, our faith is vain, ver. 14.
5. Did Christ stay on earth forty days after his resurrection? Yes: he was seen of them forty days, Acts 1:3. Did he then ascend up into heaven? Yes: while he blessed them he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven, Luke 24:51. Did he ascend in a cloud? Yes: a cloud received him out of their sight, Acts 1:9. Was he welcome in heaven? Yes: when the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, he came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him, Dan. 7:13.
6. Was it for our advantage that he ascended up into heaven? Yes: It is expedient for you that I go away, John 16:7. Did he ascend as a conqueror? Yes: when he ascended on high, he led captivity captive, Eph. 4:8. Did he ascend as our forerunner? Yes: as the forerunner he is for us entered, Heb. 6:20. Is he gone to prepare a place for us? Yes: I go to prepare a place for you, John 14:2. Did he enter as our High Priest, within the veil? Yes: by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, Heb. 9:12.
7. Did he sit at the right hand of God? Yes: he is seated on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, Heb. 8:1. Has he authority to sit there? Yes: the Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, Ps. 110:1. Is he there now? Yes: he is even at the right hand of God, Rom. 8:34. Has he been seen there? Yes: Stephen said, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God, Acts 7:56. Will he continue there? Yes: the heavens must receive him till the restitution of all things, Acts 3:21. Has he the highest honour there? Yes: God hath given him a name above every name, Phil. 2:9. Has he the sovereign power there? Yes: for angels, authorities, and powers are made subject to him, 1 Pet. 3:22. Is he Lord of all there? Yes: Thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands, Heb. 2:7. Ought we therefore to have our hearts in heaven? Yes: Seek those things which are above, where Christ sits on the right hand of God, Col. 3:1.
8. Will Christ come again ? Yes: If I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again, John 14:3. Are you sure he will come again? Yes: for he said, Surely I come quickly, Rev. 22:20. Will he come in glory? Yes: he shall come in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory, Matt. 24:30. Will his angels attend him? Yes: he shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, Matt. 25:31. Will he come publicly ? Yes: Behold he comes in the clouds, and every eye shall see him, Rev. 1:7.
9. Will Christ come to judge the world? Yes: God hath appointed a day in which he will judge the world in righteousness by that Man whom he hath ordained, Acts 17:31. Will he come to the terror of all his enemies? Yes: they also which pierced him shall wail because of him, Rev. 1:7. Will he come to the comfort of all his faithful followers? Yes: to them that look for him, he will appear the second time unto salvation, Heb. 9:28. Will this be at the last day? Yes: I will raise him up at the last day, John 6:39. Ought we to wait for that day? Yes: looking for the blessed hope, and the glorious appearance of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ, Tit. 2:18.