Q. 24. How does Christ execute the office of a Prophet?
A. Christ executes the office of a Prophet, in revealing to us by his Word and Spirit the will of God for our salvation.
1. Does Christ execute the office of a Prophet? Yes: We know that thou art a Teacher come from God, John 3:2. Does God speak to us by him? Yes: he hath in these last days spoken to us by his Son, Heb. 1:2. Were there prophets under the Old Testament? Yes: God sent his servants the prophets, Jer. 25:4. But was Christ above them all? Yes: for he is the Lord God of the holy prophets, Rev. 22:6. compare Col. 1:11. And were they his agents? Yes: it was the Spirit of Christ in them that testified, 1 Pet. 1:11.
2. Was Moses the great type of Christ as a prophet? Yes: A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren like unto me, Acts 3:22. But was Christ greater than Moses? Yes: for Moses was faithful as a servant, but Christ as a Son, Heb. 3:5,6. And is the doctrine of Christ better than that of Moses? Yes: for the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ, John 1:17. Was Christ completely qualified to be a Prophet? Yes: for in him are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge, Col. 2:3. Was ever any other so well qualified? No: for no man knows the Father, but the Son, Matt. 11: 27.
3. Has Christ, as a Prophet, revealed God's will to us? Yes: for he said, my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me, John 7:16. and 12:49, 50. Has he revealed God's will concerning our duty? Yes: for he did not come to destroy the law, but to fulfil, Matt. 5:17. And concerning our happiness? Yes: for he was anointed to preach the acceptable year of the Lord, Luke 4:18.
4. Did Christ execute this office when he was on earth? Yes: for he taught them as one having authority, Matt. 7:29. Did he introduce his doctrine with Thus saith the Lord, like the Old Testament prophets? No: but Verily, Verily, I say unto you, John 3:3. Did he confirm his doctrine by miracles? Yes: believe me (said he) for the very works' sake, John 14:11. Were his miracles many? Yes: many signs did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, John 20:30. Were they profitable? Yes: He went about doing good, Acts 10:38. Did Christ teach by the example of his life? Yes: that we might follow his steps, 1 Pet. 2:21.
5. Does he still execute this office? Yes: for he said, I have declared thy name unto them, and will declare it. John 17:26. Does he reveal God's will to us by his word? Yes: for these things are written that we may believe. John 20:31. And by his Spirit? Yes: the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost: he shall teach you all things, John 14:26. Does Jesus Christ teach his people? Yes: All thy children shall be taught of the Lord, Isa. 54:13. And does he teach effectually? Yes: for the Son of man is come, and hath given us an understanding, 1 John 5:20. And does he teach compassionately? Yes: for he can have compassion on the ignorant, Heb. 5:2.
6. Must we learn of this Teacher? Yes: learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, Matt. 11:29. Are we to receive his doctrine? Yes: let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, Col. 3:16. And must we abide in it? Yes: if ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed, John 8:31.