Q. 21. Who is the Redeemer of God's elect?
A. The only Redeemer of God's elect is the Lord Jesus Christ, who, being the eternal Son of God, became man; and so was, and continues to be, God and Man, in two distinct natures, and one person, for ever.
1. Did mankind need a Redeemer? Yes: for by our iniquities we had sold ourselves, Isa. 1:1. Did the elect themselves need a Redeemer? Yes: for we ourselves also were sometimes disobedient, Tit. 3: 3. Would there have been a Redeemer if Adam had not sinned? No: for they that be whole need not a physician, Matt. 9:12. Could an angel have been our Redeemer? No: for his angels he charged with folly, Job 4:18.
2. Is Jesus Christ the Redeemer? Yes: there is one mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus, 1 Tim. 2:5. Is he the only Redeemer? Yes: for there is no other name under heaven given among men whereby we must be saved, Acts 4:12. Is he a universal Redeemer? Yes: he gave himself a ransom for all, 1 Tim. 2:6. Did he die to purchase a general offer? Yes: the Son of Man was lifted up, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, John 3:14, 15. Is all the world the better for Christ's mediation? Yes: for by him all things consist Col. 1:17. Is it long of Christ then that so many perish? No: I would have gathered you, and you would not, Matt. 23:37.
3. Is Christ in a special manner the Redeemer of God's elect? Yes: I lay down my life for the sheep, John 10:15. Was their salvation particularly designed in Christ's undertaking? Yes: Thou has given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him, John 17:2. Was their sanctification particularly designed? Yes: For their sakes I sanctify myself; that they also might be sanctified, John 17:19. Is all mankind redeemed from among devils? Yes: for none must say as they did, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God, Matt. 8:2, 9. But are the elect redeemed from among men? Yes: these were redeemed from among men, Rev. 14:4.
4. Is the Redeemer LORD? Yes: every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, Phil. 2:11. Is he Jesus a Saviour? Yes: Thou shalt call his name Jesus, for he shall save his people from their sins, Matt. 1:21. Is he Christ anointed? Yes: for God, even thy God, hath anointed thee, Heb. 1:9. Is he Emmanuel? Yes: They shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted, is, God with us, Matt. 1:28.
5. Is he the Son of God? Yes: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God, Matt. 16:16. Is he the Eternal Son of God? Yes: for he is before all things, Col. 1:17. Is he God? Yes: unto the Son he says, Thy throne, 0 God, is for ever and ever, Heb. 1:8. Is he true God? Yes: His Son Jesus Christ is the true God, and eternal life, 1 John 5:20. Is he the most high God? Yes: for Christ is over all, God, blessed for ever, Rom. 9:5. Is he equal with the Father? Yes: for he thought it not robbery to be equal with God, Phil. 2:6. Is he one with the Father? Yes: I and my Father are one, John 10:30. Is he to be worshipped as God? Yes: for all men should honour the Son even as they honour the Father, John 5:28. Is he worshipped by the angels? Yes: Let all the angels of God worship him, Heb. 1:6. And is there good reason for it? Yes : for he is the brightness of his Father's glory, Heb. 1:3. Was he begotten of his Father before all worlds? Yes: Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee, Ps. 2:7. Is he the only-begotten Son of God? Yes: We beheld his glory, the glory as of the only-begotten of the Father, John 1:14.
6. Did the Son of God become man? Yes: the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us, John 1:14. Did he come into this world? Yes: he came forth from the Father, and came into the world, John 16:28. Did he come in the fittest time? Yes: when the fulness of time was come, God sent forth his Son, Gal. 4:4. Did he come with a full commission? Yes: for the Father sanctified him, and sent him into the world, John 10:36. Did he come to save us? Yes: the son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost, Luke 19:10. Did he come to conquer Satan? Yes: for this purpose was the Son of God manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil, 1 John 3:8.
7. Did the Redeemer take our nature upon him? Yes: he was found in fashion as a man, Phil. 2:8. Had he a being before his incarnation? Yes: before Abraham was, I am, John 8:58. Had he a being before the world? Yes: for the same was in the beginning with God, John 1:2. Is not his incarnation a great mystery? Yes: without controversy great is the mystery of godliness, God manifest in the flesh, 1 Tim. 3:16. Is it necessary that we believe it? Yes: for he that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh, is not of God, 1 John 4:3. Was Jesus Christ God even when he was upon earth? Yes: I am in the Father, and the Father in me, John 14:11. Is he man now he is in heaven? Yes for he that descended is the same also that ascended, Eph. 4:10.
8. Is the Redeemer both God and man? Yes: for to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and he shall be called the mighty God, the everlasting Father, Isa. 9:6. Is he both the Son of God, and the Son of man? Yes: he was the Son of Adam, he was the Son of God, Luke 3:38. Does he continue to be so? Yes: for Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, to-day and for ever, Heb. 13:8. Was he man that he might suffer? Yes: for without shedding of blood is no remission, Heb. 9:22. Was he God that he might satisfy? Yes: for God has purchased the church with his own blood, Acts 20:28. Is he God and man in two distinct natures? Yes: for he is both the root and offspring of David, Rev. 22:16. compare Matt. 22:45. Is he so in one person? Yes: for to us there is but one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him, 1 Cor. 8:6. Is he so for ever? Yes: he is Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, the first and the last, Rev. 22:13.
9. Is this Jesus the true Messiah promised to the fathers? Yes: we know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world, John 4:42. Were the Scriptures fulfilled in him? Yes: to him give all the prophets witness, Acts 10:43. Did his miracles prove his doctrine? Yes: The works that I do bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me, John 5:36. Did the Father himself bear witness of him? Yes: by a voice from heaven saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased, hear ye him, Matt. 17:5. May we venture our souls upon this foundation? Yes: for this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son, 1 John 5:11.