Q. 14. What is sin?
A. Sin is any want of conformity unto or transgression of, the law of God.
1. Is there a moral difference of good and evil? Yes: for we must cease to do evil, and learn to do well, Isa. 1:16, 17. Is it all alike then what we do? No: for God shall bring every work into judgment, whether it be good, or whether it be evil, Eccl. 12:14. Is there such thing as sin in thought? Yes: for the thought of foolishness is sin, Prov. 24:9. May sin be committed in word too? Yes: for in the multitude of words there wanteth not sin, Prov. 10:19.
2. Does sin suppose a law? Yes: for where there is no law, there is no transgression, Rom. 4:15. and v. 13. Is sin the breach of a law? Yes: for sin is the transgression of the law, 1 John 3:4. Is it God's law only that can make a thing to be sin? Yes: For against thee, thee only, have I sinned, Ps. 51:4. Is every breach of God's law sin? Yes: for all unrighteousness is sin, 1 John 5:17. Are we to judge of sin by the law? Yes: for by the law is the knowledge of sin, Rom. 3:20. Could we discover sin without some law? No: For I had not known sin but by the law. Rom. 7:7. Is the transgression of the law of nature sin? Yes: for they that have not the written law, show the work of the law written in their hearts, Rom. 2:14, 15. But does the written law discover the root of sin? Yes: I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet, Rom. 7:7.
3. Is ignorance of God sin? Yes: He shall take vengeance on them that know not God,. 2 Thes. 1: 8. Is disaffection to God's government sin? Yes: My people would not hearken to my voice, and Israel would none of me, Ps. 81:11. Is all disobedience to God's law sin? Yes: For the wrath of God comes upon the children of disobedience, Col. 3:6. Is it a sin to omit the good which God has commanded? Yes: for to him that knows to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin, James 4:17. Is it a sin to do it negligently? Yes: for if thou doest not well, sin lies at the door, Gen. 4:7. Is it a sin to do the evil which God has forbidden? Yes: for he has said, O do not this abominable thing which I hate, Jer. 44:4. Is the inclination to evil sin? Yes: for St. Paul speaks of the sin that dwells in us, Rom .7:17.
4. Is sin the worst of evils? Yes: it is an evil thing, and a bitter, to forsake the Lord, Jer. 2:19. Is the sinfulness of it the worst thing in it? Yes: for sin by the commandment becomes exceeding sinful, Rom. 7:13. Is sin worse than affliction? Yes: for Moses by faith chose rather to suffer affliction than to enjoy the pleasures of sin, Heb 11:25. Is it displeasing to God? Yes: God is angry with the wicked every day, Ps. 7:11. Is it destructive to ourselves? Yes: be sure your sin will find you out, Numb 32:23.
5. Ought we not therefore to take heed of sin? Yes: Stand in awe, and sin not, Ps. 4:4. And of all appearances of it? Yes: abstain from all appearances of evil, 1 Thes. 5:22. And all approaches towards it? Yes: Touch not the unclean thing, 2 Cor. 6:17. And must we hate it? Yes: Ye that love the Lord, hate evil, Ps. 97:10. Must little children take heed of sin? My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not, 1 John. 2:1. Is it folly to make light of sin? Yes: fools make a mock at sin Prov. 14:9. Will our observing the law of God be the best preservative against sin? Yes: Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against thee, Ps. 119:11. Will an eye to God be the best argument against sin? Yes: How shall I do this great wickedness, and sin against God, Gen.39: 9.